Routines make daily life simpler and smoother for caregivers which is in fact a top priority when caring for an older adult. Daily routines can reduce uncertainty, arguments, and decision-making, which in turn can reduce the overall stresses of life.
5 ways routines can make life simpler are:
- Stop the power struggle – people hate being told what to do, including seniors. But once a routine is part of their life, they will be more likely to follow the routine and make it part of their daily life.
- Increase Cooperation – when people can mentally prepare themselves for the next task or activity, it frees up more energy in their mind and they know what to expect.
- Reduce the need for decision-making – when someone is constantly making decision all day, it can be tiresome. Routines can reduce the amount of decisions being made and therefore gives the senior more mental energy.
- Improve your sleep – having daily routines can improve the sleep quality in seniors
- Build in time to enjoy each other – build in quality time with your older adult in your routine so that it doesn’t fall by the wayside.